21 Grow-Based Questions – For Clearer ThinkingJul 07, 2021
John Whitmore’s GROW Coaching Model is one of the most popular and successful coaching models in the world. It’s a framework you can use for many things besides coaching – to increase awareness, find options and solutions and take action.
So what is GROW?
GROW is an acronym for the four stages of the coaching model
G: Goal – Defining short and long-term goals
R: Reality – Exploring the current situation
O: Options – Identify and evaluate possible options
W: Will – Define what you will be doing and by when
With all the uncertainty in our lives at present, GROW-based questions are a great way to help you get some clarity around your thinking.
If you’re like me, I find that writing things down often helps me to get everything out of my heads and onto paper, allowing me the time and space to think about whatever the issue is in a different way.
If you’re working remotely at present, the you can do the same with your team. Perhaps you could start your next virtual meeting by asking everyone to write down in a sentence the issues they want to think about.
If, like millions of parents, you’re now not only trying to settle into working from home but find yourself looking after your children simultaneously, you might want to use this as quiet reflection time.
Either way, get yourself a coffee/tea/wine – maybe not wine at 9am, but hey, we’re living in uncertain times – and consider these questions and give yourself time to think.
- What are you trying to achieve?
- What do you want to change?
- What does success look & feel like?
- How much control do you have over this issue/challenge/problem?
- What would happen if you don’t resolve it?
- Why is this an issue for you?
- Who is involved?
- What is the truth vs assumptions (or self-talk)?
- What solutions have you tried so far?
- What do you think is stopping you?
- What are your possible options?
- What has worked well in the past?
- If you had all the money, time and power, what would you do?
- What would your most trusted friend/family member do if they were in your shoes?
- Which option do you feel ready to act on?
- What are you willing to do?
- What specific actions will you take?
- Who will you need or support from?
- When will you commit to taking action?
- What will happen if you don’t do it?
And finally, but perhaps most importantly, what is the first step you will take?…
Don't want to miss a thing?
First time here? Thank you for reading the post. If you liked it, please feel free to share or comment.
New things to listen to, read or download delivered to your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never pass on your information, for any reason.